Finalizing an invoice enables teams to keep track of which paid invoices have been reviewed by the accounting teams and provide a way to lock invoices so no further changes can be made after they've been finalized. We will cover the following in this article:
- Finalizing an Invoice - How to manually finalize an invoice
- Unfinalizing an Invoice - How to manually unfinalize an invoice
Automatically Finalizing Invoices - How to setup invoices to finalize automatically
Storage Invoices - Tips on doing the above for Storage Projects
Finalizing an Invoice
1. Navigate to invoice and confirm the status is Paid
2. Click on the 3 Dots Action Menu
3. Click Finalize invoice
4. Click Finalize
When an invoice is finalized, it will disable the ability to modify or edit bills. If you need to make changes to a finalized bill, follow the steps below
1. To unfinalize an invoice, press on the 3 Dots Invoice Actions Menu
2. Click Unfinalize invoice
3. Click Unfinalize
Things to note before Unfinalizing:
- Some bill items may have been updated
- Please review the invoice line items
- The invoice will need to be manually finalized
Automatically Finalizing Invoices
Invoices can now be set to automatically finalize - This is currently enabled by Project Type. When enabled, invoices will automatically be locked and finalized when the final job is complete and remaining balance across all invoices is $0. When disabled, invoices must be manually finalized.
1. Click View/Edit Project Types
2. Click on the Project Type
3. Click Accounting
4. Click to edit General > Automatically Finalize Invoices
Note: Toggle on if you want to enable automatically finalizing invoices
- Any new invoices generated going forward will now be set to automatically finalize
- When enabled, invoices will automatically be locked and finalized when the final job is complete and remaining balance across all invoices is $0. When disabled, invoices must be manually finalized
- Finalizing invoices is separate from finalizing a job report. Once the job has been finalized, the invoice should automatically finalize as well. To view more details on completing/finalizing a job report (see: Completing a Job Marked "Report Not Final")
Similar to move invoices, you can finalize a storage invoice only after payment has been collected. One key difference is that the Storage Project does not have to be completed.
If you are using Supermove Payments, you’ll be able to set-up recurring charges for your storage customers. In this scenario, we recommend navigating to the Accounting Module, selecting Storage Invoices, and then from the Paid category you can being to finalize invoice(s) following the steps shared in the Move Invoices section above.
If you are not using Supermove Payments, you’ll need to record the payment from within the Storage Project. Once payment has been recorded, you can then finalize the invoice right from the Storage Project. Similar to the finalizing a moves invoice, if you want to hold off on finalizing or finalize multiple invoices in bulk, you can do this from the Account Module.